01 August 2009

Qoo!

01 August 2009
I love Qoo! I bought a final can from a vending machine at Narita Airport and drank it as we taxied down the runway, leaving Japan. I kept the can and it sat in my office for three months, taunting me, mocking me, reminding me that I should have bought some to bring home and sip leisurely until I could return to Japan. But no. I drank it.

I stared at the can.
The can stared at me.
In consternation, I stared at the can.
The can was unmoved.
Vexed, I stared at the can.
The can was still empty
and devoid of feeling.
And devoid of Qoo.

I threw the can away today. Silly Qoo.

So you may be wondering what Qoo is. It is a fruity drink produced by Coca Cola and sold throughout much of southeast Asia. (Qoo is also the little mascot dude, who is just as Qoot and Qool as can be!) The apple flavor is my favorite. Yummy! If you want to learn more about Qoo, you can visit the Qoo section of the Coca Cola Japan site. Or click here for a flash tour of Qoo production, distribution and nutrition propaganda, err, information. Don't read Japanese? Me neither. Click on one of the icons to proceed and be sure to check out the last segment (the one with the orange flag) for a video summary of it all, in super Qoot form!

If my English serves me well, it seems that Qoo is ten years old. I would love to celebrate that anniversary by drinking lots of Qoo. It has reached elixir-of-the-gods status in my memory. I am almost afraid to drink it again for real, for it may not live up to my expectations. Ah well. If you're in Japan, or Singapore, or anywhere else it's sold, try a can. It's pretty good.


And if you're in Japan and can get your hands on that Qoo suitcase, I need one. Umm...For my kid.



0 comments:

Bookmark and Share or vote for this post at

My Recent Posts

Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?
 
Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?. Design by Pocket