
Today, I chatted with an internet friend in Japan via Skype. Had a nice conversation and he is going to help me with my Japanese. I am excited about it because I will have the opportunity to fine tune my pronunciation and practice my listening skills. Additionally, I will be able to ask lots of "why" and "how" questions. And I do have a lot of those!
We met through one of the many "social" sites that are advertised online. They are a good way to meet people for language exchange, but they also come with the usual risks associated with meeting strangers online. I have been contacted by quite a few people, several of whom had hidden (and not-so-hidden) agendas. But, most of the people with whom I speak are very friendly and helpful.
There are a number of ways to meet people who are willing to help you with your language studies, no matter what language it may be. You can join a social networking site like Facebook or Twitter. Eventually your network will expand and depending on your general interests, you'll meet people. Read blogs in your target language (check out JapanSoc for blogs about Japan-related topics) or about the related country and if you post polite comments, you will meet people.
Not patient enough for those suggestions? There are sites that you can join for the sole purpose of meeting people and studying language, such as My Language Exchange.com, xLingo and EduFire. EduFire offers quite a few free classes, but you can also buy a subscription to access additional classes.
Many language learning sites have forums in which you can participate. Free Japanese Lessons.com has lessons available on their site, but you must register to access everything. Paid learning sites are another option, like JapanesePod101 (which does have a free option, too).
Many dating & friends sites have an option to seek language partners. Japan Cupid is a paid service. They offer a free version, but you won't be able to read messages from other free members. J-List Friends is free to join and also offers an option to seek language partners. The Free Japanese Lessons.com advertises a friends service, but paid service is required to directly contact other members.
There are tons of sites that you can use, these are just a few that I could readily recall. And using caution when meeting people online should go without saying, but I still hear stories about people having their hearts broken and their wallets emptied (which certainly happens in real life, too). So, proceed cautiously, don't be a creepy stalker, and don't be shy. Learning a new language can also be a gateway to making new friends and expanding your 'global awareness.' Have fun!
We met through one of the many "social" sites that are advertised online. They are a good way to meet people for language exchange, but they also come with the usual risks associated with meeting strangers online. I have been contacted by quite a few people, several of whom had hidden (and not-so-hidden) agendas. But, most of the people with whom I speak are very friendly and helpful.
There are a number of ways to meet people who are willing to help you with your language studies, no matter what language it may be. You can join a social networking site like Facebook or Twitter. Eventually your network will expand and depending on your general interests, you'll meet people. Read blogs in your target language (check out JapanSoc for blogs about Japan-related topics) or about the related country and if you post polite comments, you will meet people.
Not patient enough for those suggestions? There are sites that you can join for the sole purpose of meeting people and studying language, such as My Language Exchange.com, xLingo and EduFire. EduFire offers quite a few free classes, but you can also buy a subscription to access additional classes.
Many language learning sites have forums in which you can participate. Free Japanese Lessons.com has lessons available on their site, but you must register to access everything. Paid learning sites are another option, like JapanesePod101 (which does have a free option, too).Many dating & friends sites have an option to seek language partners. Japan Cupid is a paid service. They offer a free version, but you won't be able to read messages from other free members. J-List Friends is free to join and also offers an option to seek language partners. The Free Japanese Lessons.com advertises a friends service, but paid service is required to directly contact other members.
There are tons of sites that you can use, these are just a few that I could readily recall. And using caution when meeting people online should go without saying, but I still hear stories about people having their hearts broken and their wallets emptied (which certainly happens in real life, too). So, proceed cautiously, don't be a creepy stalker, and don't be shy. Learning a new language can also be a gateway to making new friends and expanding your 'global awareness.' Have fun!


2 comments:
Hello,
I recommend you to read this related post.
Improving foreign languages skills - Language exchange:
http://babelanmicroblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/improving-foreign-languages-skills.html
Thanks for commenting! That blog entry has lots of links for finding a language exchange partner.
Post a Comment