
I think I've lost my mind sometimes. I registered to take JLPT level 4 this December, hoping that a deadline would spur me to study more. So, today I did a quick search for information on the test and I almost fell off my chair while I was reading. Truly, do I need to know 800 vocabulary words? That may be a bit more than I can learn in the next three months (allowing sufficient review time prior to testing).
My next course of action will likely be to make a list of all the words I know now (which includes approximately -10 kanji!) and compare my list against the list I found online. At least then I can assess my current level and determine whether or not I've embarked upon a fool's errand. Since I know that I'll need about 100 basic kanji, I can surmise that everything else will be written in kana. I might still have a chance.
Challenges are good for me. I perform well under pressure and if someone says I can't do something, it guarantees that I'll set out to prove I can. So feel free to comment and tell me this goal is impossible! :)
The really good news of my day, though, is that I finally, finally, finally have figured how to switch back and forth between English and kana on my computer. Thought I had it down yesterday, but had some issues on Messenger today. I think I've finally tamed that beast, though, and now I'm ready to rock and roll!


2 comments:
How do you switch back and forth on your computer? I'd sure like to know.
Thanks
Once I enabled Japanese input on my computer, the language bar on the status bar became functional. First, I click the EN button and switch to JP. Then I have other buttons available- input mode is the useful one for me. If I click it, a menu pops up with choices: hiragana, full-width katakana, full-width alphanumeric, half-width katakana, half-width alpanumeric, and direct input. I just jump back and forth between hiragana (or katakana) and direct input for English. I'm sure there are keyboard shortcuts that would be faster, but I'm not tempting fate right now. (The ALT-SHIFT thing that's supposed to work on my computer doesn't.) I'm running WinXP on this machine. Hope that helps, and thanks for visiting!
Post a Comment