
I started my kanji study today and it went very well. For quite some time now, I've been trying to figure out the best way to learn kanji. Would I stare at my flash cards and try to remember everything? All of the readings, meanings, stroke order, etc.? How would I ever do that? Would my brain explode or turn into pudding? (mmm...pudding....)
Well, today I decided on my course of action. It is a multi-pronged attack, designed to acquire the target with a minimum of collateral damage to my brain or the surrounding area. I have a list of the approximately 100 kanji I need to know for the JLPT 4 exam in December. I have the Level 4 flash cards. I also have my wonderful, super-fantastic "tutor'"on Skype. So I select some cards from the deck, note them on the list and study the meanings of each character. Then I spend some time reading through the compounds that contain that character, focusing on the furigana. This is helping to reinforce the readings without actually trying to force-memorize each reading as a stand-alone item, and it helps me solidify my understanding and usage of kana. I write the kanji about a million times, using the correct stroke order, too. The next thing I do is use the kanji to make a simple sentence.
The bonus part is that I am building vocabulary, familiarizing myself with particles and counters, and strengthening my grammar all at once. Then, with the addition of the Skype chats, I can confirm my grammar usage, listen to spoken Japanese in a conversational setting, and form sentences on my own at "real-life" speed, with assistance when necessary.
To those of you who speak Japanese at any level above "noob," this probably all sounds very dull and obvious! But, I've been looking at this whole "learning Japanese" thing the wrong way. I've been looking at it as trying to learn a language, something which can be quite overwhelming. Today, I applied the analogy of completing a large jigsaw puzzle. Typically, I find like pieces, sort them out and make little stacks of them. As the stacks grow, the pieces begin to look more familiar and I start to assemble various sections. Once the smaller sections start to take shape, I find where they connect and soon the picture as a whole begins to come together. I don't have to work on just one section of the puzzle at a time. After all, they are all part of one complete concept. Working on the different parts concurrently allows me to envision the whole picture sooner, and to anticipate achieving my goal with a much more positive outlook. Do you assemble the outer edge, or frame, first? I do. In my analogy, that framework is kana, without which I'd be stuck.
I'm very excited about this venture that I've undertaken. Certainly, I will experience frustration and disappointment with my progress at times in the future (as I have already). But, I am fully committed to my goal, and every little breakthrough in learning, or attitude, just keeps me on the path to success.
Well, today I decided on my course of action. It is a multi-pronged attack, designed to acquire the target with a minimum of collateral damage to my brain or the surrounding area. I have a list of the approximately 100 kanji I need to know for the JLPT 4 exam in December. I have the Level 4 flash cards. I also have my wonderful, super-fantastic "tutor'"on Skype. So I select some cards from the deck, note them on the list and study the meanings of each character. Then I spend some time reading through the compounds that contain that character, focusing on the furigana. This is helping to reinforce the readings without actually trying to force-memorize each reading as a stand-alone item, and it helps me solidify my understanding and usage of kana. I write the kanji about a million times, using the correct stroke order, too. The next thing I do is use the kanji to make a simple sentence.
The bonus part is that I am building vocabulary, familiarizing myself with particles and counters, and strengthening my grammar all at once. Then, with the addition of the Skype chats, I can confirm my grammar usage, listen to spoken Japanese in a conversational setting, and form sentences on my own at "real-life" speed, with assistance when necessary.
To those of you who speak Japanese at any level above "noob," this probably all sounds very dull and obvious! But, I've been looking at this whole "learning Japanese" thing the wrong way. I've been looking at it as trying to learn a language, something which can be quite overwhelming. Today, I applied the analogy of completing a large jigsaw puzzle. Typically, I find like pieces, sort them out and make little stacks of them. As the stacks grow, the pieces begin to look more familiar and I start to assemble various sections. Once the smaller sections start to take shape, I find where they connect and soon the picture as a whole begins to come together. I don't have to work on just one section of the puzzle at a time. After all, they are all part of one complete concept. Working on the different parts concurrently allows me to envision the whole picture sooner, and to anticipate achieving my goal with a much more positive outlook. Do you assemble the outer edge, or frame, first? I do. In my analogy, that framework is kana, without which I'd be stuck.I'm very excited about this venture that I've undertaken. Certainly, I will experience frustration and disappointment with my progress at times in the future (as I have already). But, I am fully committed to my goal, and every little breakthrough in learning, or attitude, just keeps me on the path to success.


0 comments:
Post a Comment