
I recently opened an account at smart.fm after reading several reviews on other blogs. I skimmed through some of the lists and found lots of useful resources. The thing I like is that the lists have not just Japanese words, but audio files, too, so you can hear the word pronounced correctly and mimic it yourself.
Because I had only skimmed the site, I hadn't tried out the iKnow! feature, but I checked it out today (as pictured above). Wow! What a great tool! In addition to drills and on-the-spot quizzes, the system tracks your progress and recommends an amount of study time per topic. I started with hiragana and flew through the first study session with no problems, even though I was unfamiliar with the system. That encouraged me that I do have a good grasp of hiragana. I'm looking forward to doing the katakana section since I struggled with it for so long. The rote repetition and frequent review will be great for soldifying my understanding!
I'm a big fan of free resources and this one is great. Something else I found while looking around smart.fm was the video for FLOW's "Fighting Dreamers," one of the opening themes fromthe Naruto anime. The lyrics were posted in Japanese, English and romaji, which I thought was pretty cool. But additionally, key words were posted as a study list.
If you're looking for additional tools to learn Japanese, check out this site. Register as a user, look through the lists, add them to your "studying" list, and then try out the iKnow! feature! It's fantastic! You can launch the hiragana list from here by clicking on the launcher below.
Two other features are available: Dictation and BrainSpeed. I haven't tried them yet, but I expect good things from those applications, too.
Because I had only skimmed the site, I hadn't tried out the iKnow! feature, but I checked it out today (as pictured above). Wow! What a great tool! In addition to drills and on-the-spot quizzes, the system tracks your progress and recommends an amount of study time per topic. I started with hiragana and flew through the first study session with no problems, even though I was unfamiliar with the system. That encouraged me that I do have a good grasp of hiragana. I'm looking forward to doing the katakana section since I struggled with it for so long. The rote repetition and frequent review will be great for soldifying my understanding!
I'm a big fan of free resources and this one is great. Something else I found while looking around smart.fm was the video for FLOW's "Fighting Dreamers," one of the opening themes fromthe Naruto anime. The lyrics were posted in Japanese, English and romaji, which I thought was pretty cool. But additionally, key words were posted as a study list.
If you're looking for additional tools to learn Japanese, check out this site. Register as a user, look through the lists, add them to your "studying" list, and then try out the iKnow! feature! It's fantastic! You can launch the hiragana list from here by clicking on the launcher below.
Not sure what will happen if you don't have an account yet. Lemmings may fall from the sky?
Two other features are available: Dictation and BrainSpeed. I haven't tried them yet, but I expect good things from those applications, too.


2 comments:
Smart.fm is a great resource for learning the Japanese language. I use it as much as I can and it really makes a difference.
Hope to see you there!
http://smart.fm/users/ryanthewired
Thanks for visiting my blog! I wish I had started using smart.fm when I found it. I'd be so much further in my studies, but I'm glad I finally revisited it and checked out the tools!
Post a Comment