
I have mentioned before that I am returning to college this fall. Four of my classes are online: Japanese, English Literature (18th century-present), Religions of India, China & Japan, and Macroeconomics. All of my registrations are now complete and I can begin my course. After a quick glance at the syllabi, it looks like I selected well for my first courses.
I still have some classes to register for at a local school, but they won't begin until October and will only be eight weeks long. Those classes (planned, anyway) will be Biology, second-year English Composition, and Algebra. Of those three, only Algebra will give me real difficulty. I don't like math. At all. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. But, as with everything else, I will do my best, find a tutor, if necessary, and hope that my grade point average will survive!
GPA is important in the state where I live. If you maintain a 3.0, the state will pay for all of your classes and provide a small allowance for books. This is funded by the state lottery program. Federal financial aid is also available, which can help cover the remainder of book costs. So, if returning to school at 41 isn't challenging enough, now I have to maintain a respectable GPA, too. But, I can do it. My daughter starts college in January and I need to set a good example for her. It's good for my younger children to see me studying, too. It's probably not good for them to see me scream at the computer when I'm working on Algebra, though, so I'll do those assignments while the kids are at school. :)
If you're wondering how I can take such an overload of classes in my first semester (particularly if you're American and familiar with our ridiculous courseload restrictions), I'm taking classes from three different schools. Since I registered for them as a distance learner, prior to being accepted as a degree-seeking student at a specific university, I'm able to do it with worrying about obtaining approvals as a transient student. Remember: age and treachery will always overcome youth and vigor. Mwuhahahaha! But seriously, it's a huge course load, but after the ridiculous workload I've managed over the past years, I am confident that I will succeed! My time management skills are much better than they were when I was younger, so that should be very helpful.
And now it's time to study!
I still have some classes to register for at a local school, but they won't begin until October and will only be eight weeks long. Those classes (planned, anyway) will be Biology, second-year English Composition, and Algebra. Of those three, only Algebra will give me real difficulty. I don't like math. At all. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. But, as with everything else, I will do my best, find a tutor, if necessary, and hope that my grade point average will survive!
GPA is important in the state where I live. If you maintain a 3.0, the state will pay for all of your classes and provide a small allowance for books. This is funded by the state lottery program. Federal financial aid is also available, which can help cover the remainder of book costs. So, if returning to school at 41 isn't challenging enough, now I have to maintain a respectable GPA, too. But, I can do it. My daughter starts college in January and I need to set a good example for her. It's good for my younger children to see me studying, too. It's probably not good for them to see me scream at the computer when I'm working on Algebra, though, so I'll do those assignments while the kids are at school. :)
If you're wondering how I can take such an overload of classes in my first semester (particularly if you're American and familiar with our ridiculous courseload restrictions), I'm taking classes from three different schools. Since I registered for them as a distance learner, prior to being accepted as a degree-seeking student at a specific university, I'm able to do it with worrying about obtaining approvals as a transient student. Remember: age and treachery will always overcome youth and vigor. Mwuhahahaha! But seriously, it's a huge course load, but after the ridiculous workload I've managed over the past years, I am confident that I will succeed! My time management skills are much better than they were when I was younger, so that should be very helpful.
And now it's time to study!


2 comments:
(again in Schneider-voice) YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
LOL...I sure hope so!
Post a Comment