I learned some new Japanese words today, and in my favorite format: FOOD! I was in the mood for something filling, so I made 肉じゃが (nikujaga) for dinner. Tasty! We also had asparagus wrapped in bacon, California rolls, and コーヒーゼリ (coffee jelly) for dessert. Our local supermarket has been stocking some really good asparagus lately, so I've been taking advantage of that and eating lots. I never made coffee jelly before, but I ate it when I was in Japan. It's good on a hot summer day. Now the kids are super-energized and enacting epic Pokemon battles in the back yard. I hope they overcome the caffeine burst in time for bed! Maybe I'll use decaf next time? Nah...
Nikujaga is a simmered meat and potato dish, something that should be pretty easy on most American palates. My kids were surprised that they liked it (they say that a lot at dinner time). I usually think of stews as a fall or winter food, but it's pretty light and really filled me up without being too heavy. You can find tons of recipes for it online, so you should try the one that appeals to you. It's worth a taste! The photo above is from a Seattle Times article and features beef, but I made mine with pork. I didn't have those cool looking chopsticks either.Coffee jelly is a gelatin dessert made with coffee, and it is sooooo good! It's easy to make, too. I really should take photos if I'm going to blog about something. But you can do an image search and find lots of fancy varieties. I did the quick and easy home version- jelly in a cup with lots of whipped cream on top. I wish I made more. What I really want is some Japanese-style pudding. I should make some. If I do, I promise to take a picture. Or to try. It will be pretty hard for me to wait long enough to snap a photo- I've been craving pudding for three months now. I really should make some so I can quit complaining about it and eat it!!


0 comments:
Post a Comment