09 July 2009

My Education Begins! (Well, Almost)

09 July 2009
My university application was approved today, so now I can sign up for classes online. I will be taking three self-paced Japanese classes in addition to a full load of 'in-seat' courses. For the first semester of Japanese, I need a textbook and a workbook, so I ordered them tonight. I will enroll for the class itself at the end of next week (i.e. payday). I'll be paying for the online classes out-of-pocket. But I will be able to start right away, a little sooner than my regular classes. I have some personal goals to reach and school schedules aren't going to hold me back.

I completed my Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and received my Student Aid Report (SAR) online. I qualify for pretty much everything, so that will cover tuition for the rest of my classes this year. The transcripts from my previous courses (spread across a 17 year period) should arrive soon and then I can have them assessed. I'm not sure how many credits will be accepted, due to the "age" of some, but with any luck, all of my core classes will transfer. At any rate, the proverbial ball is rolling now. I'm excited.

Oh, the texts are Nakama 1A, 2nd Edition and the accompanying Student Activities Manual. I hope they're good. Is anyone familiar with them?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're using Nakama? Haha. WELCOME TO THE CLUB! I'm using them too :D Currently using 1A+SAM and 1B+SAM. I got them from my college bookstore...$132.50 each...comes in a bundle T.T

I like the books. Its just one thing that's confusing about them. The textbook and the SAM sometimes doesn't correspond. Like in chapter 6 of 1A that I'm on, the conjugation verbs that have never been mentioned in the textbook appears in the SAM >.<

...man, I hope I pass this class. I can't afford to let my GPA drop anymore. How am I suppose to go to Grad school? I'm ranting *ahem* Luck studying for Japanese :D

Kara said...

If you're one book ahead of me...how do you feel about exams? :D

Anonymous said...

Yes. I am your senpai~ Not really >.<

Well, I have a quiz every class [everyday] and a chapter test at the end of each chapter [every week]. If you study, there should be no problem. My quizzes are the vocabulary [nouns+verbs] of each chapter and tests are just everything you learned from the chapter. Grammar and all. Then at the end of the semester, a final [summarizes everything].

My tip is just study, study, study. If I'm not talking to Kelly, I'm staring at my index cards, trying to memorize the vocabs.

Nakama 1A is not hard. Its the basics that Japanese-fanatics like you and me know or at least came in contact with. Its just that once you get into the grammar, it gets more confusing. I haven't opened my Nakama 1B bundle yet. We're going to start using it on Tuesday :D

Kara said...

Hmm...studying....not something I ever did in school. Might have to learn a new skill :)

Bookmark and Share or vote for this post at

My Recent Posts

Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?
 
Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?. Design by Pocket