13 September 2009

My Super-Nerddom Revealed

13 September 2009

This won't come as much of a surprise to you readers who know me in real life. I'm a nerd. As in, not cool. Dorky. Geeky.

Alas, it's true, or I couldn't write it on the internet.

Quite a few years ago, I played D&D. In fact, my most commonly used username, Kailahana, was the name of a long-term character I played (Elven mage, thankyewverymuch). I quit playing around the time that version 3 came out, so I'm WAY out of the loop these days, and I guess that's okay. I still find ways to stimulate my imagination and fantasize about (i.e. plan for) my inevitable conquest of alien worlds.

I've been a big fan of the Naruto manga for a while now and looked forward to the weekly issues. But recently, Naruto reminds me of D&D. Anyone who has been involved in tabletop gaming for a while can probably recall at least one campaign, or more specifically, one character that just achieved ridiculously high levels and could stomp around god-like, smashing anything in his or her way, amassing stupid amounts of treasure, real estate, or whatever. That's what seems to have happened in Naruto. (And what happened with my character, eventually ending my gaming days due to sheer boredom.) I'm even bored with Sasuke and Kakashi. *sigh*

It's difficult as an author (or DM/GM) to maintain your audience's interest when your characters don't really have much further development remaining. When the only opposition they face is eventually destroyed due to the hero's untouchable brilliance. I'm really bored with Naruto and I didn't expect that to happen. I'm a bit disappointed. Now I might have to grow up a little more and do away with my weekly habit.

C'est la vie.

2 comments:

holl said...

Hi there,
at first I have to say that I'm not english-speaking person but I think my english isn't that bad. Anyway, I've found your blog recently and I kept reading it. It's nice to see that you are doing progress in your learning. I'm trying to learn Japanese too, I'm on a good way. I hope you'll be greater and greater at it. Keep going, mate!

Kara said...

Thanks for reading my blog and thank you for the words of encouragement. I think your English is pretty good, too. :) Good luck with your Japanese studies!

Bookmark and Share or vote for this post at

My Recent Posts

Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?
 
Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?. Design by Pocket