11 October 2009

Online Japanese Class (College Credit Available)

11 October 2009
A couple of people have asked about the Japanese course that I'm taking online, so I thought I'd post some information about it. The class is offered through the University of Alabama. You have to register through their distance learning program and then you can take the class. There are options available, depending on whether or not you want college credit. All of the pertinent information is available on the Nihongo Web site. (Gotta love NihongoMan!)

To earn college credit, the classes are roughly $300 per credit hour. Japanese 101 and 102 are four credit hours each and Japanese 201 is nine credit hours. Financial Aid won't cover these for students from other universities; not sure about UofA students. If you just want to take the course for your own edification, the fees are substantially lower.

Tutoring is available from the instructor or a student assistant several times a week. You can use your favorite messenger system, such as Windows Live Messenger or Skype. If the tutors are with other students, you just queue up and wait your turn. This is also the method used for oral exams. For written exams, you have to find a proctor at a local university, which usually entails a small fee per exam.

Written assignments are mailed or faxed to the instructor. You will receive them, with notes and corrections, several weeks later, which is good for review. But, if you are taking the course for credit, you will probably need to proceed through the next chapters before getting your homework back or you will get behind on your schedule. College students only have one semester in which to complete the course; others have nine months.

The UofA sent me an ID card in case I want to make use of the student discounts in the Tuscaloosa, Alabama area (too far away to benefit me) and they sent me a foldable flash drive. I thought it was nice that although I'm only taking one course online from the school, they make an effort to make me feel like part of their student body. I even receive weekly e-mails about campus topics.

All in all, I have been satisfied with the course and would recommend it to others who, like me, don't have Japanese classes available in their local area. But, before sinking your hard-earned cash into it, be sure that your school will accept the courses for transfer!

0 comments:

Bookmark and Share or vote for this post at

My Recent Posts

Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?
 
Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?. Design by Pocket