You know, there really is no excuse to make bad grades in school anymore. Even for me, and I have loads of really good excuses that would make you say, "Oh, but you're doing your best!" Going back to college at my age is challenging. Of course, I do have some advantages over the typical 18 year-old student, too. Years of meeting multiple changing deadlines and dealing with superiors who dislike me and try to thwart my success, as well as being able to manage my time rather well in order to maintain a balanced life.
The biggest challenge I have discovered is re-learning how to learn. I learn things all the time, but to actually sit down and study a prescribed topic that may be of little or no interest to me has proven to be a new experience. In primary and secondary school, I never studied. The classwork just didn't warrant study; it was easy and it was the same thing year after year.
Now I find myself in need of assistance, especially with subjects that I've rarely encountered in the past 20 years (yes, ALGEBRA! haha). If not for the help of many people, I would be really struggling academically right now. I have managed to solicit tutors and "go-to" people who answer my questions and who all have different instruction styles. And the best part is that they are all in different geographical locations, so I also have the opportunity to ask questions about their countries. I'm getting the best education of my life right now, and having fun doing it. Thanks!
The biggest challenge I have discovered is re-learning how to learn. I learn things all the time, but to actually sit down and study a prescribed topic that may be of little or no interest to me has proven to be a new experience. In primary and secondary school, I never studied. The classwork just didn't warrant study; it was easy and it was the same thing year after year.
Now I find myself in need of assistance, especially with subjects that I've rarely encountered in the past 20 years (yes, ALGEBRA! haha). If not for the help of many people, I would be really struggling academically right now. I have managed to solicit tutors and "go-to" people who answer my questions and who all have different instruction styles. And the best part is that they are all in different geographical locations, so I also have the opportunity to ask questions about their countries. I'm getting the best education of my life right now, and having fun doing it. Thanks!


2 comments:
I'm sure you will do well in school. I started school again after a couple years break and I know its not easy to get back into the school grove
Thanks. I am so insanely committed to this goal. I quit my job, moved to a new town and everything. I've kind of sunk everything into this, so I can't fail, no matter what. But I really want to make good grades, too. Gotta prove that you don't get dumber as you get older :)
Post a Comment