30 June 2009

Food Good. Yessiree!

30 June 2009
My very very very most favoritist thing in Japan is the food. I think we ate nonstop. Okay, maybe not "we" so much as me. Or I. You know what I mean :) I wish I had taken pictures of every single thing I ate in Japan, but most of the time I was hungry and forgot.

This was my lunch on the shinkansen to Aomori. See the red thing in the middle of the rice? That's umeboshi, or pickled plum. It's sour and delicious. When a single umeboshi is placed in the center of a bed of rice, it is to represent the flag of Japan. Pretty cool, eh? The other items include assorted pickles, salmon, and someting I fell in love with- tamagoyaki. It's a sweet omelet. I don't eat eggs, so I was really surprised at how much I liked this. I even bought a special rectangular frying pan and learned how to make it at home. It's a little tricky rolling it up (I'm still trying to master doing it with cooking chopsticks), but it is worth the effort!

This was my daughter's lunch that day. It's grilled chicken, rice, mushroom, and shaved egg (not really sure how else to describe that, but it's good!).

It's pretty nice on the shinkansen. You can buy lunch at one of the many kiosks at stations, or you can buy your lunch from one of the ladies who patrol the aisles with their carts of goodies. You can also buy drinks (including beer) and omiyage (souvenirs). On one trip, they came through with tiny cartons of ice cream.

This was my brunch on the return trip. A selection of finger sandwiches. I have no idea what some of the fillings were, but every one of them was light and tasty! I ate from right to left, which seemed to work out since it progressed from savory to sweet. And as for the drink...green tea. Not the sweetened, watered down Lipton crap you can buy at the local Circle K in the States either. I must have drunk a gallon a day.

While this was lunch on a train, it wasn't purchased on the train. I picked it up at 7-11. A selection of sushi, melon Fanta (fantastic!) and ....*deep breath*...the current issue of Shonen Weekly, actually in Japanese, actually purchased at a Japanese newsstand. I was in geek heaven over that one! Still have the issue, sitting in a place of honor on my bookshelf. And I can't read a lick of it! Oh well. One day.

This is another combini lunch. Tonkatsu (?), rice, salad...I don't really know what all this is- it was my daughter's lunch! But it's another example of what you can buy at the convenience stores. The prices were good and the food was good. If you're on a budget, it can be cheaper than eating at restaurants for every meal. And the variety is good. Check out this picture of part of a drink aisle:

Ohhhh....looking at this picture....the pudding is just to the right, on the bottom....oh, glorious pudding!!! Well, I won't be distracted by thought of pudding right now...ack! Too late! My mouth is watering! Must...have...pudding!

*Announcer* We apologize for the interruption of this blog entry. Now for breaking news on the Pudding Crisis of Coastal Georgia. ::fade to black::

0 comments:

Bookmark and Share or vote for this post at

My Recent Posts

Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?
 
Otearai Wa Doko Desu Ka?. Design by Pocket