I typically avoid topics on my blog that are thought-provoking, controversial, or of any other marginal value. But I came across this tonight via Twitter and I had an interesting series of thoughts. But, first, the video:
Yes, of course, there is a bit of editing there- but not during the parts that made me roll my eyes and think, "Well, this guy is really dumb." Pokemon is a tool of Satan? Interesting.
My experience through the years is that anything cool is immediately attacked by the church and labeled as demonic. Why? Because if you're spending your money on entertainment, you're not donating it to the church. Period. Had I not gone to church with my parents one Sunday many years ago, I would have never read the Harry Potter series. As the minister listed the sins of the book (teaches children witchcraft, opens their hearts to Satan, etc.), I thought to myself that the book sounded like it might be worth a glance. I think Goblet of Fire had just come out. So, I left church, drove to the mall, and bought Sorcerer's Stone. Thank you, sir, for the book recommendation. My kids and I have enjoyed them all quite a bit.
I remember the annual tirades again KISS when I was a kid. I can still envision a particular flyer that we were given at church that detailed all the horrors of the "Kings in Satan's Service." I recall that it said Gene Simmons collected polaroids of women in "spread-eagle" positions. I wasn't quite sure what that meant, so I did a bit of research and discovered porn. Hmm.
My parents are very devout Christians. My whole family, actually. My parents are completely involved in their church; it has always been their only social network. I don't share their passion. I find their Christian friends to be nosy, hypocritical, and downright ridiculous most of the time. I have no interest in church, never have. When I was about 8 or 9, I asked my mom how she knew that God was real. How did she know that some guys didn't sit around and write a bunch of books and then tell everyone that God told them to, as a marketing ploy? Yeah, that didn't go well. I was genuinely curious, but she informed me in an icy voice that I was being sacrilegious and disrespectful and that no child of hers would ever question God again. Uh, okay. So much for your faith, when you can't answer the questions of a child.
Uh-oh. All of my pent-up bitterness and hatred of Christianity is welling up, ready to explode, so this is a good place to end this post, I think.
Anyway, my point is that while Pokemon is getting old, it isn't sending anyone's kids to the fiery furnaces of hell.
My experience through the years is that anything cool is immediately attacked by the church and labeled as demonic. Why? Because if you're spending your money on entertainment, you're not donating it to the church. Period. Had I not gone to church with my parents one Sunday many years ago, I would have never read the Harry Potter series. As the minister listed the sins of the book (teaches children witchcraft, opens their hearts to Satan, etc.), I thought to myself that the book sounded like it might be worth a glance. I think Goblet of Fire had just come out. So, I left church, drove to the mall, and bought Sorcerer's Stone. Thank you, sir, for the book recommendation. My kids and I have enjoyed them all quite a bit.
I remember the annual tirades again KISS when I was a kid. I can still envision a particular flyer that we were given at church that detailed all the horrors of the "Kings in Satan's Service." I recall that it said Gene Simmons collected polaroids of women in "spread-eagle" positions. I wasn't quite sure what that meant, so I did a bit of research and discovered porn. Hmm.
My parents are very devout Christians. My whole family, actually. My parents are completely involved in their church; it has always been their only social network. I don't share their passion. I find their Christian friends to be nosy, hypocritical, and downright ridiculous most of the time. I have no interest in church, never have. When I was about 8 or 9, I asked my mom how she knew that God was real. How did she know that some guys didn't sit around and write a bunch of books and then tell everyone that God told them to, as a marketing ploy? Yeah, that didn't go well. I was genuinely curious, but she informed me in an icy voice that I was being sacrilegious and disrespectful and that no child of hers would ever question God again. Uh, okay. So much for your faith, when you can't answer the questions of a child.
Uh-oh. All of my pent-up bitterness and hatred of Christianity is welling up, ready to explode, so this is a good place to end this post, I think.
Anyway, my point is that while Pokemon is getting old, it isn't sending anyone's kids to the fiery furnaces of hell.


2 comments:
I totally agree with your point about Pokemon. I think you missed one point though. Mega-churches. They make me shudder just to think about them. They are quite obviously money mills. These slick Jesus pimps dont care a whit for you or for Jesus. They just want the dollars. I suppose I could go on for days about them, but I wont.
Fortunately, they are not the whole church. Although there are some really really strange people in it (I guess that would include me)
I got saved in '03 and believe in Jesus :) If you were ever to have questions, I would be happy to attempt to answer them for you. Course I'm an idiot so you may not want to :)
Sorry to keep rambling, but I think it's cool that you have other subjects on your blog too :) w00t
Eww....pointy teeth....That yellow furry has pointy teeth...Kills it...we must kills it!
Post a Comment